Saturday, September 17, 2011

A JUSTIFIED PURCHASE

Hi fellow sewers, readers of this blog and friends:  It really has been a while since I took the time to sit and write on my blog.  I won't spend a lot of time with all my dramas, i.e., sergers, sewing machine and the boys (my little dogs - pictures posted).

I haven't made many things since I posted last,however I was extremely inspired after an Eileen Fisher attack brought on by a stroll through Dillards out of sheer boredom.  I must admit the prices were fabulous 65% off and additional 40% off at the register.  I really love her stuff; it never wears out, extraordinarily fine fabrics and they look good on my mature (lol) figure.  They had my size in everything as it was the first day of the sale.  I guess so because the question in my mind is "Who pays $158 for a summer tank top"?  However, I am happy to report that I grabbed up over $900 worth of Eileen Fisher for a little over $300.  Although this was and end of summer sale, I will be able to wear these things until late November due to our semitropical weather and will be set for spring.  No guilt as my Dillards card has had a tiny balance of under $100 for months since I stopped retired.

I am not the most creative sewer, but I have promised myself for years that I would try to copy some of the ready to ware things that fit well.  So after wondering some more, I cleared my cutting table and traced the pattern onto pattern tracing paper.  Success!  It fit and looked just like the the $158. tank top.  So I got out my prized linen jersey (I have become obsessed with this stuff) and made several more.  AND THEN...........................................................serger trouble once again reared it's ugly head!

If you've been a reader of this blog then you know I have just about driven myself crazy with my Elna 925 server.  Well, Thursday night as I was serging  the e-shrug from Sewing Workshop (cute and very easy and takes less than 30 minutes) the upper looper broke.  That did it!  I finished the e-shrug by machine and went to bed.  Yesterday, I drove to Mobile, AL (45 minutes away) and calmly, without any guilt purchased (are you ready for this) an Evolution by Babylock.  Now you and I both know that I probably will never make anything that requires 8 spools of thread, but I purchased it because I wanted the same features as my 5 thread Elna 925.  However, my main reason was because of the Extraordinair Threading system.  With this kind of investment you can best believe that I'll be attending as many classes as the price of gasoline will allow since the shop is about 65 miles from where I live

Tried it out in the store and seems there will be a slight learning curve for me, but I'm up to the challenge.  I must say, however, that had I not done my research due diligence, I probably would have not made the purchase because the sales staff and manager were like something out of a combination Three Stooges - Keystone Cops movie.  I had to take several deep breaths and refocus, especially when the owner arrived after picking up the three kids (ages about 2-7) from school and daycare.  Call me crazy, but I just expect the sales staff to be 100% knowledgeable of the products they sell.  I was pleased to know that they were not the instructors for the classes.

So now I'll start the challenge!

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your new serger!!! I'm sure you deserved it. I downloaded The Sewing Workshop Eshrug on Thursday and am looking forward to sewing many versions of it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many congratulations on your new serger - the Babylock Evolution sounds like a wonderful machine - have fun learning how to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I have the Evolve serger. The Evolution is the new version of the Evolve. I love my serger and I think you'll love it too after you learn it.

    ReplyDelete