Thursday, January 27, 2011

A Houndstooth for Bree

Since I am now retired, I no longer feel the need to speed sew, look for shortcuts or make do. I read an article about "slow sewing" and it really made the lights come on in my head. You see, I was one of those sewers who sewed all night and wore the garment the next day, and sometimes it looked like I did. Now I'm savoring every detail. I didn't like to use pins when I sewed but this summer I took a beginning quilting class and the instructor said at least ten times during each class "Remember you can't use too many pins". I took this with a grain of salt and figured I could just use one or two pins. After ripping out many many times I now understand that it is better to use the pins and have seams end together. Yea! So after all these years (40+) I am pinning all the way down to the end of the seam.

As promised I have the "Black and White Coat" completed. It went together beautifully with no problems. even at the lapels. I fused the entire jacket and fused a lighter weight to the upper collar and front facings and added more for the hem and sleeves. The lining has been in my stash for I don't know how many years and seemed perfect for this project.

I have never been satisfied with the buttonholes on my Designer 1 or the Bernina 1600. My Bernina 930 (I think that was the number) was a little workhorse and made perfect buttonholes. So since I really didn't want to make a mistake with a buttonhole that was not up to par; I sewed all the buttons on and did not use buttonholes. Instead I places large black snaps under the overlapping buttons and and very pleased with the look. Cutting the back flap on the diagonal is the last change I made to this pattern, McCalls 6264. I didn't cut the front flap on the diagonal because I thought it would be too busy.

I told Bree that I would make her a red sheath dress to go under it. This one can be dressed up or can be worn with jeans. I'm sure she'll enjoy it. I post a picture of her modeling later. But for now here is the completed jacket.

Best
Grandy



No comments:

Post a Comment