Friday, March 23, 2012

SPRING SEWING FRENZY

I have been on a real sewing frenzy inspired by my recent bargain purchases of 2 yard remnants of current fabrics from my local Hancock Fabrics store located just a block and a half from my home. Over the winter months I've been practicing various fitting techniques and decided to try them out on my bargains.  My first item was a little of my ocd as described in previous posts.  So I made the top again from a piece of cotton sateen purchased a couple of years ago.  Thought I would try a print for an interesting lining.  I liked it so well, I decided to make a simple dress to go under it.  Here's the top.



I loved the print fabric so well as I decided to use the print for the dress but didn't have enough to finish the lining so I got a little creative and pieced the back.  



So now I'm enjoying sewing prints so much that I decided to make my 11 year old granddaughter, Trinity a print dress for Sunday.  This fabric is a polished cotton and has to be at least 10 years old.  I had planned to make the older granddaughter, Bree, who is now 17 a dress many many years ago and never got around to it.  I used a Simplicity pattern as shown in the next photo.  I had to use a size 6 adult pattern as Trin is so tall for eleven, the children sizes are too short, shoulders too narrow and just doesn't look right.  I guess this is what is ment by the word "tween".  I had to add a little to the waist and shorten the bodice.  Hopefully,  I'll get a chance to get a picture of her wearing the dress.


Now comes the linen pieces:
The top is a very lightweight linen and cotton made from my pattern copied from an Eileen Fisher $158 tank I purchased on a drastic clearance sale last year at Dillards.  The pants are made from a lightweight cross hatch dark and light gray linen.

 This pant is made from a heavy weight linen all from the remnant stash.  Because I'm short 2 yards will make almost anything for me.
I'm still excited and plan to continue this frenzy until burn-out!

No comments:

Post a Comment